Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Bathtub Painting

On Monday Brian had marching band so I wanted to do something fun before bedtime.  We've never painted in the bathtub before nor have we colored with bathtub crayons before.  So I decided it was time to do bathtub painting!  It's easy to make.  All you need is baby soap, corn starch and food coloring.  Mix 1/3 cup baby shampoo/soap with 1 tbsp corn starch.  Mix until smooth.  Then divide into muffin tins or ice cube trays.  I made double as it didn't seem to be very much paint after 1 recipe.  Then add food coloring to each ice cube tray to make different colors.  You need 2-3 drops in each tray.  I ran out of red food coloring while mixing colors.  That's why my purple looks so weak!
N2 were so excited by this.  I gave them each foam brushes and showed them that they could paint the bathtub.

I also told them they could paint themselves since it's just soap!

I guess I stopped holding onto the ice cube tray or maybe I forgot to tell them that they needed to hold onto it when they got paint out of the tray.  No more than 2 minutes into our painting, the ice cube tray fell into the bathtub and spilled all the paint out.  I fished it out and we managed to get a little bit of color out of the tray but it didn't last long.  Here's what our water looked like. Appetizing, isn't it?
I think when I do this again I will use individual dishes and make less colors.  That way only 1 would get knocked down at a time.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like fun! We'll have to try it sometime. I will learn from you and use separate containers (plus, I don't own any ice cube trays)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought an ice cube tray just so I could freeze paint and do frozen painting but I haven't done that yet! To clean up the walls, I just took a spray bottle of water and sprayed it until all the color ran down the walls. You could run a shower on it too but mine painted in the area that the shower wouldn't reach. They were cleaning the shower for me!

      Delete