Saturday, August 11, 2012

Jicama Salad

I saw this recipe and new I wanted to try it because I want a way to eat jicama that isn't just eating it plain.  It was pretty good but I thought it had too much red pepper and not enough dressing.

Jicama Salad

1 small jicama, peeled and diced into small cubes (1/4 inch)
1/2 large red pepper, chopped into small pieces (I would do less)
1 1/2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup cooked sweet corn
Handful of fresh parsley, chopped coarsely
Juice of one lime
2 tsp canola oil
Dash paprika
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl.  Whisk together the lime juice, oil, paprika, salt and pepper.  Pour over salad.  Add parsley right before serving.

I think I put more lime juice (maybe the juice of 1/2 another lime) but I think it still needed more flavor.  The recipe called for a pinch of chili powder and cilantro and maybe that would make all the difference.  It definitely needed more dressing flavor.  But it was a good way to eat jicama!

No comments:

Post a Comment